Use of internet and computers
EVANSDALE PUBLIC LIBRARY
INTERNET USE POLICY
The Evansdale Public
Access to the Internet is available to all patrons; however, this service may be restricted at any time for use not consistent with the guidelines. Parents or guardians of minor children must assume responsibility for their children's use of the library's Internet service. All users must sign in prior to beginning their session.
Users should be aware that the inappropriate use of electronic information resources can be a violation of local, state, and federal laws and can lead to prosecution. The user will be held responsible for his/her actions using the Internet. Users are expected to abide by the policies below, which include generally accepted rules of network etiquette. The internet computers may only be used for legal purposes. Unacceptable uses of the service will result in the suspension or revocation of Internet use privileges.
The Internet is a decentralized global network; the Evansdale Public
The library cannot assure that data or files downloaded by users are virus-free. The library is not responsible for damages to equipment or data on a user's personal computer from the use of data downloaded from the library's Internet service.
The use of the Internet and e-mail is not guaranteed to be private. Known messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the proper authorities.
- Users may use the Internet for research and the acquisition of information to address their educational, vocational, cultural, and recreational needs.
- Users may use the Internet for the receipt and transmission of electronic mail (e-mail) as long as they use a free e-mail service, which will establish and maintain an account for them; the library is unable to manage e-mail accounts for any organizations or individuals.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 10 at all times.
- Internet use is offered in sixty minute sessions on a first-come, first-served basis; or reservations may be made over the phone. If there is no patron waiting for the service at the end of a session, the user can have another session, but once having had the service for 60 minutes the user must abandon use of the Internet if another patron requests use of the service.
- No reservations will be taken for the last ½ hour that the library is open.
- Users will respect and uphold copyright laws and all other applicable laws and regulations; they will not use it for illegal purposes.
- Users will respect the rights and privacy of others by not accessing private files.
- Users agree not to incur any costs for the library through their use of the Internet service.
- Users shall not create and/or distribute computer viruses over the Internet.
- Users shall not deliberately or willfully cause damage to computer equipment, programs, or parameters.
- Computer copies are available for a cost. Black and white copies are $.10 per copy. When available, copies with colored text are $.50 per copy and a full sheet color photo copy is $1.00 with a limit of five such copies per day.
- Users may only use programs already downloaded into the computer. Users may not download any program onto the computer. Users may not copy, alter or delete any system or program files in the computer.
- Users may not copy to the hard drive of the computer.
- Commercial use is prohibited.
- Misrepresentation or harassment of others is prohibited.
Adopted October 2000
· Amended June 2002
· Amended September 2005
· Approved August 2006
· Approved November 2009
· Approved July 2010
· Approved April 2015
· Amended May 2017
· Approved February 2019
· Amended September 2019